Dirty Beaches - “Love Is The Devil”
Taiwanese-born globetrotter Alex Zhang Hungtai has two new records in the works for his retro-focused Dirty Beaches project, following up 2011’s dusty Badlands LP. Released earlier today on his personal YouTube channel, “Love Is The Devil” is the first taste of Dirty Beaches’ forthcoming albums. It’s a brooding, melancholic swath of instrumental ambience, oscillating between hollow synth drones and warm, crackly strings. It evokes a lot of the same feelings that The Caretaker's eerily nostalgic An Empty Bliss Beyond This World procured when it was released back in 2011, and I wouldn’t be surprised if James Kirby’s work was a large influence on this track. Fans of Hungtai’s Presleyan moans might miss the absence of his voice, but there will likely be plenty of that on at least one of the upcoming records.
Accompanying the YouTube video in which this song was debuted is a Bukowski quote that might offer some more direct insight into Hungtai’s inspiration:
"Love is a fog that burns with the first daylight of reality."
Left of the Dial Radio Playlist - 10/19/12
Thanks to everybody who tuned in for my radio show last night. In retrospect, this playlist was pretty moody. Check out the whole thing below and stream the available tracks via Spotify at the embedded link at the bottom.
- 1. Ty Segall - “Thank God For Sinners”
- 2. Wilco - “You Are My Face”
- 3. Bon Iver - “Holocene”
- 4. Sun Kill Moon - “Ålesund”
- 5. Bright Eyes - “Four Winds” (Requested by Blueshadedays)
- 6. The Jesus And Mary Chain - “Just Like Honey”
- 7. Converge - “Sadness Comes Home”
- 8. Titus Andronicus - “Still Life With Hot Deuce On Silver Platter”
- 9. Burial - “Loner”
- 10. The Caretaker - “As if one were sinking into sand”
- 11. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - “Mladic”
- 12. Cat Power - “Moonshiner”
- 13. Elliott Smith - “Oh Well, Okay”
- 14. The Jim Yoshii Pile-Up - “In Focus”
- 15. Codeine - “Vacancy”
- 16. Scott Walker - “Big Louise”
- 17. Beck - “Already Dead”
- 18. Bright Eyes - “Amy In The White Coat”
- 19. Jeff Buckley - “Grace”
- 20. Built To Spill - “Things Fall Apart”
- 21. Carissa’s Wierd - “Asleep” (The Smiths cover)
Stream via Spotify:
Listening To: The Caretaker - Patience (After Sebald) (2012)
I’m closing tonight out with this, the new record from Leyland Kerby a.k.a. The Caretaker. Patience (After Sebald) is a darkly repetitive and experimental ambient record that evokes the more frightening side of my haziest and most nostalgic memories. It works as especially great late night listening for depressed people, but I’d recommend it to anybody. I may review this in full in the near future, but for now, I plan to simply let the desolate atmosphere of Patience overtake me and direct my dreams in whatever way they may lead.